'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Saturday 12 September 2009

Two for the price of one.

Exhibitions, that is. [They were both free.]

Yesterday, in addition to our usual Friday shopping and a pleasant lunch, we managed two exhibitions – although neither was very big.

The County Records Office has a small exhibition about the history of textiles in Hampshire – mostly documents such as invoices, advertisements and account books, although there are some antique lace lappets. There are also 4 embroideries of church arches by Lin Howard, who uses layers of fabric and paper in very interesting ways.

Then we wandered round to the Discovery Centre [I’ve typed that so often now I can almost do it without wincing] for a real dose of nostalgia – an exhibition about Ladybird books. I think this has been touring Hampshire for a while, but it has just made it to Winchester.

There are example of the books, original art work, toys, other books and children’s clothing from the 50s to the 70s – including a ruched nylon swimming costume. Somewhere in a deep dark hole I have a photo of me in one of those. It will NOT appear on this blog – although I undoubtedly looked better in it then than I would now.

IMG_7322

These are a bit prettier – more old fashioned roses from Mottisfont.

No comments: