'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Friday 23 September 2011

A day of two halves.

It was a good morning – despite having to be at the bus stop at 9.01 a.m. [Yes, I know, I used to get up earlier too.] [9.01 because I can’t use my bus pass before 9.]

In pursuit of this week’s theme of any course that’s on offer that isn’t related to college work, I’d signed up for the first of a series of recycled jewellery workshops, run by Jacqueline Rolls. The first one was wire, which appealed because Wensleydale gave me quite a lot of redundant cable, and tells me there is even more in the garage, though by rights it belongs to Cheese Major.

image

These are my efforts – completed one on the left, too big and a boring shape , so therefore to be deconstructed and recycled on the right. I’m told the thin multicoloured wire is phone/IT cable - which makes Cheese Major’s left-overs even more interesting…

Although recycled wire is not  litter, I have some ideas for using it for college work – when [if?] I make up my mind what I’m doing. I’ve come to the conclusion that I want to use what I have [heaven knows there’s enough of it] rather than buying more – and therefore what I make has to be adapted to the materials I have. Plus litter.

Then I met W. for a nice lunch at the usual place, and we drove over to Hobbycraft for some retail therapy.

Where the Vilene shelves fell on me - and I hadn’t been rough with them, honest!

So we went to Haskins for coffee to recover – where I dropped my change in my coffee. It’s not even Friday 13th!

Everything has been relatively peaceful since then, apart from the normal M3-on-a-Friday-afternoon traffic coming home. [Fortunately we managed to miss the end-of-shift-at-the-Ford-factory traffic.]

I spent 15 years commuting up and down the M3 – from before it was the M3 - but I still forget that it is always worse on a Friday afternoon. Lorries in the inside lane, car drivers who are going slower than the lorries but think the middle lane is the place for cars, and boy racers on the outside. Grrr!

No comments: