'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Tuesday 27 December 2011

Hope springs eternal.

I have mentioned before that I do not like winter, so I am always glad to reach the ‘shortest day’.P1030050

Even better, on Christmas morning I spotted sme of these in the garden – although they seemed to have borrowed their leaves from a cyclamen! I can’t remember ever spotting snowdrops in December before, although it may just be a failure of observation on my part.

Snowdrops are probably my third favourite flowers - after daffodils, and cherry blossom. [You may detect a theme here…]

That was the most exciting thing which happened on Christmas Day – and that is not a complaint. We had a quiet day at home, eating and drinking what we like, not what tradition demands.

Boxing Day was a little more adventurous – a family gathering chez Babybel/VHC, when a good time was had by all – although as the VHC got his timing wrong and spent most of Christmas Day night awake, waiting for Father Christmas, his parents were feeling slightly worn. Not that that stopped them doing a Boxing Day race in the morning.

Little in the way of college work has been done – not even POT, in the absence of postal deliveries. I have been in a paper cutting mood – just messing about in one of my ‘make pages out of a lot of old bits of painted paper’ sketchbooks.

image image

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I have also resumed my intermittent interest in family history. I got a bit discouraged because I was hitting a lot of brick walls, but over the last few days I’ve managed to knock a couple down – or I think I have.

Turns out the reason I couldn’t find Wensleydale’s GGparents wedding was because it took place about 4 years after his Gfather was born… [It amuses him but would have mortified his mother.]

Of course it is highly likely that I can’t track down some marriages in my own family for the same reason – or because they didn’t bother getting married at all.

No comments: