'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Sunday 18 December 2011

I found something to do…

preparing and then enjoying Wensleydale’s birthday celebrations.

First a little baking – the usual Guinness Chocolate Cake as requested, [this is the nearest I can find to my recipe, but mine has no nuts, and a chocolate Guinness butter cream]] , and some of Dan Lepard’s totally wonderful tamarind spice biscuits [I used mixed spice rather than garam masala, which I shall try next, and almonds rather than stem ginger, which I didn;t have].

Then a quiet day with W. for his actual birthday – and today a three generation visit to Solent Sky, where we were, for most of the time, the only visitors. Great fun was had by all, and the staff were brilliant. I wonder why it is that Southampton wants to build a Titanic Museum, but seems to undervalue and ignore its much stronger connection with the Spitfire?

The most entertaining moment, however, was when we were waiting for Babybel, VHC and entourage to arrive, and I was trying to explain to the entourage where we were. Babybel’s uncle took the phone from me and gave directions – ‘turn right at that drinking establishment, turn left at this drinking establishment…’ -  ‘pubnav’? It worked, though.

Then everyone came to our house to make short work of the baking.

Perhaps not a conventional birthday bash, but we enjoyed it.

No comments: