'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Friday 21 June 2013

Finished!

This is the embellisher piece I started in the Contemporary Textile workshop. I wired the edge, and although a slightly heavier wire would have worked better, I'm pleased with it. It reminds me of a shell, in a strange, over the top colour, way.









This started in the CTW as a collection of samples - how did the tie dye look on different backgrounds, and can you really embellish silk rods? Sue the tutor suggested that they looked a bit like baby bunting, so when I got home they got some additional stitch and were attached to stuffed knitting ribbon. They are awaiting some tiny sequins, and a decision about whether to put them in the college show. I think they may be a bit too unfinished-looking for most people, and I don't want to be considered odd, do I? (Although it may be too late to worry about that...)


This was also inspired by the workshop, although I did it at home. Can you embellish silk rods? Yes. 


It is awaiting some hand stitch, probably Cretan stitch, and will then also become a book cover, unless I decide that it isn't robust enough. You can   embellish silk rods but they don't necessarily like the process.






'Spirits of the Cloth' is also nearly finished and will also become a book cover, not least because I found rather fewer spirits on the left hand side than on the right, which implies a back and a front to me.












No comments: