'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Monday 30 November 2015

A brief diversion

If you've been reading this blog for a while, you may remember the work I made for the FDA Degree Show, 'Postage of Time', made from the envelopes from every letter we received over about 8 months.

Today I was inspired (perhaps by the need for a break from knitting) to start something similar, if smaller. Also inspired by my irritation that, despite having signed up for every mail preference service under the sun, we still get junk mail - although, as the postie said, it keeps him in a job.

I don't know if it's true elsewhere, but at Cheese Acres Monday is junk mail day. We only had one real communication today, and that was the bill from the cesspit emptier, delivered in person. (The bill that threatens to return the contents of our cesspit if we don't pay it. Needless to say we do.)

The other items were all junk.

So I used them to make a handbook. Nothing fancy, held together with staples, and cut out in the shape of my hand. The plan is to make one every day we get junk mail, as a ongoing record of the rubbish we get, although I may sew the rest, just to make them a bit more - er - hand made.

 

 

 

 

No comments: