'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Thursday 18 December 2008

In the midnight hour


- or more accurately, about 2 am - I made these. What, you say, she made 2 Schwartz spice packets? But they are not what they seem. As soon as I spotted these little boxes I thought 'books' - and so I upcycled them. [Love that neologism.]

Of course they are only about 5x10 cm so have little practical use, but making them occupied an insomniac night quite nicely.


The contents improved some cheapo red wine very nicely too ...







One of the problems with insomnia is that although I can sometimes get things done in the middle of the night, I usually feel totally inert the next day. Fortunately today I didn't feel too bad. I worked on this - which I made on Monday, without having any real idea what I was going to do with it. I started it with the intention of using it as a background for the button pieces I am still thinking about - but it morphed into something too elaborate for that - sort of inadequate crazy patchwork. On Monday it was telling me it thought it was a cushion cover but I am definitely NOT a cream silk and lace cushion person.

Then I found
this - and the purpose of the not quite crazy patchwork was revealed. I love the restrained originals - but as you can see mine are rather more vulgar. That is my contribution to Christmas this year done!



While i was doing this Wensleydale put up the 'real' [i.e.fake] Christmas tree. - with assistance, of course, from QC. Here is the front half







- and the back. She reminds us of Mog in the delightful children's book, 'Mog's Christmas' - fluffy and none too bright ...













2 comments:

Jackie said...

Celia! Thanks for your comment. About what the cat leaves: Willow for the first time ver for many years..left a huge heap during the night. I put it down to giving her anti-pee drops on a bit of a blue cheese..she's an old lady.
insomnia..have you tried chocolate?

Kate North said...

Love the little trees - I have the pattern for those downloaded and on my desktop - now for some time - I'm thinking Christmas 2009...