'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Tuesday 13 April 2010

At the risk of sounding …

as if I have any interest in football – which I haven’t – I have to say how pleased I am that Pompey won the semi-final of the FA cup. It is difficult to live in Hampshire without knowing about the trials and tribulations of the club over the last year or so, and to sympathise with the players and fans who have been shafted by a crap owner and the FA. And beating Spurs to do it must have added an extra sweetness to the victory. [Sorry, Spurs fans, but if you must employ Harry Redknapp…]

And that, I promise, will be the last mention of sport you will see on this blog before the Tour de France [unless, of course, Pompey beat Chelsea …]

everyday3

To turn to more usual matters – I have finished the 4 make-it-up-as-you-go-along samples for the college session I missed. You can plot the course of my improving health by the elaboration of these samples – a very plain patch and darn [although I’ve jazzed them up a bit today], a more elaborate sample of eyelet holes  and a completely over-the-top sample of drawn thread work – which is one of my favourite techniques.

I wasn’t sure whether we were meant to add beads etc. – our G&G teacher always encouraged the addition of ‘beads and sequins’ but T doesn't mention them – but the darn and patch looked so boring I added some buttons. And then a few beads crept onto the other pieces.

I also got started on my portfolio proper this morning. I can’t remember if I mentioned that after I'd made my drawing studies portfolio we were encouraged to present the drawings in a ‘proper’ one. I bought a ‘proper’ one and all its associated bits, which arrived just before I fell ill, so all I've been able to do about it since is worry. However I felt up to getting started today, and although I haven’t finished [wrestling with A1 paper = working on the floor = back-ache] it all seems much more doable.

So soon I hope to get back to proper sampling for the 2D piece!

No comments: