I did get side-tracked yesterday, into making one of these. Unfortunately I forgot to photograph it before sending it on its way this morning, but it didn’t work as slickly as the one on the website, due to my inability to glue 4 small tabs at the same time. I doubt this will upset the recipient, who will probably be more interested in the accompanying chocolate.
I did get back on track in the evening – making a sample.
I thought of something - flowers bursting out of the surface, and blanket stitched leaves.
Some of the ink on the lutradur transferred itself to the thread, which doesn't matter too much on this, but could be a problem if you wanted pristine embroidery. Despite that, I like the rather bizarre effect of a photograph coming to life. Definitely one to revisit, but using a different substrate – though I need to explore alternative methods of making raised flowers, they can’t all be woven picots…