'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Saturday 21 June 2008

I have just spent a very enjoyable day

taking a Royal School of Needlework class with Owen Davies, who wrote ‘Embroidered Knot Gardens’ with Gill Holdsworth. Gill was also there as she organises the classes though ‘Embroidery Now’. Of course I forgot to take my copy of the book so I could get it signed.

Unfortunately I didn’t get to go up to Hampton Court to take the class – it was run locally. We were making [surprise, surprise] an embroidered knot garden – and I would be well on the way to finishing it if I hadn’t decided that I don’t like it. No reflection on Owen who is a great teacher and very entertaining. I chose the wrong colours - I am not going to show you what I did, because I dislike the colours so much. Sometimes moving out of your comfort zone is a BAD idea. Other students who used the colours I like produced much nicer pieces. It also confirmed my feeling that, despite the evidence of my box, I prefer more stylised work. Being me I wanted to paint the canvas, and add some beads, and use non-naturalistic colours.

I had been thinking about some embroidery to take with me when we go away next month, so I think I will assemble a kit to reproduce this piece in colours that are more to my taste. I also need to decide what knitting and books I am going to take. Does anyone else spend more time planning the craft supplies to take on holiday than clothes? Fortunately we’re going in the car – it would be much more difficult if we were flying!

No comments: