mostly that, as I had another insomniac night. so didn’t feel like doing much that was really creative.
These quilts had dried after dyeing and washing, so had to be inspected. The wadding in this one was cotton so it has shrunk a little and has a wonderful texture.
The white dots are a fabric I printed with bubble wrap – as you can see acrylic paint doesn’t dye. I like the effect and can see uses for it.
This is the back – an old piece that I discharged, and which has now been over-dyed twice.
This wadding was polyester, so no shrinkage. The binding fabric was labelled ‘cotton’ – but was clearly poly-cotton, as I suspected. The white shapes are a commercial fabric, which must also have been printed with something that won't dye.
If I find the time I might over dye this – perhaps with more magenta, perhaps with blue around the edges.
Obviously I had polyester thread in the bobbin when I did the quilting. Not bad for my first attempt with the embroidery module.
The quilts weren’t today’s activities, all I did was take the photos. And as you can see I had help.
If these look like tile colours – you might well be right. The salt pan ideas haven’t gone away, but I have a lot of tile ideas as well – and creeping in are some ideas about archaeology, inspired by this. [More pictures here.]
We have a connection to this site as Mrs Cheese Major was the manager of the Bottoms Up shop which used to be there.
When I was doing ‘Creative Sketchbooks’ i made a paper collage inspired by this window, using skies from lots of magazine ads. I think it would make an interesting canvas work piece – a good way to use up lots of bits of blue and grey …