'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Sunday 31 January 2010

It’s been quite a productive day …

despite not waking up early, and not being in the mood.

I finished a sample of free motion lace, which I started yesterday and didn’t like – somehow this morning it didn’t look quite so bad. Can't show you that as it is drying after I washed out the water-soluble stabiliser. IMG_0385

I also made a few machine wrapped cords. I have a confession to make, if you promise not to tell teacher. [Warning for non-embroiderers – technical bit coming up.]

When I make cords, I do it with the feed dogs up and the normal foot on, not free motion, although these are supposed to be free motion samples. I find the cord feeds through  better than if I’m trying to free machine it, because the foot holds it firm and it doesn’t wiggle all over the place. Of course you end up with a very regular stitch – although you can vary the stitch length as you sew.

Now I've got to decide what I’m going to do with all these cords. I was going to make a lattice but I don’t think it will work …

And then I made a couple of books. [Can you tell it was Wensleydale’s day to slave over a hot stove?]

IMG_0393

One is a map fold book containing the results of my mark making yesterday.

 

 

IMG_0394

I’m not sure how we were meant to store/present this exercise – so I may be in trouble …

 

 

 

 

degree 20106

The other is a little sketchbook – since we had a package from Amazon earlier this week.  The packaging, some spray paint and paper, a bit of duck tape and thread, and Keith Smith’s ‘1,2, & 3 Section Bindings’ for inspiration.

So maybe I was in the mood after all …

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I make miles and miles of machine cords - don't you find using the 'normal' foot flattens them?- two suggested ways of making lovely cords and not worrying about free machining - either tape a straw down at front and back of your machine and pass the cord through then it is easy to guide it directly under the needle with no wobble or buy a cording foot for your machine. There are several forms all of which make lovely fat cords. Hope that helps

JP said...

love the books