'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Thursday 16 December 2010

Ticking more things off the list…

Christmas cards written and stamped       a

Cards posted                                        r

Wensleydale’s birthday cake made           a

Last minute Christmas shopping done     a  r    [Just realised what I’ve forgotten]

Presents wrapped                                 r

Well, three out of five ain’t bad.

The tree isn’t up yet but W. likes to do that on his birthday – i.e. tomorrow. Only one of the presents need posting – and that one has already missed the last posting date for the US by a week, so  it’s going to be late anyway. [I’m sure December has been much shorter this year – or maybe it’s because I've had other deadlines to worry about…

I gave myself another one in college yesterday, by volunteering to do my presentation at the earliest opportunity – i.e. 12th January. The essay is half written anyway [more than half after an attack of insomnia last night] and I just want to get it over with so I can start worrying about the next deadline – which is Drawing Studies, a fortnight later.

As it was the last session this term, we had an outside speaker – Jackie Langfeld talking about her experience on the Opus degree course, and the birth of the Paper Warriors. She was very good, and it was wonderful to look through her sketchbooks , and to see where she is moving on to. Although she told us that, at the start of the course she had no firm ideas about the way that her work would develop, [very reassuring!], it was fascinating to see the seeds of the warriors, to mix a metaphor, in her earlier work.

Lots of good ideas for my own sketchbooks, and a good potluck lunch as well – now no college till next year - just one Babybel sleepover, two birthdays, a wedding anniversary, Christmas and New Year – I’m sure I’ll find plenty of time to write an essay and do a PowerPoint presentation…

No comments: