'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Sunday 1 July 2012

Life, cycling and photography

'Life' meaning 'rant'. Well, I haven't had one for a while.

I spent some time this morning looking around local college websites for a part-time course I would like to take. Simple task you might think - Google the college website, find the Adult Ed section, check if they do it, if they do, apply.

Not necessarily - the websites were, almost universally, confusing, cluttered and difficult to navigate around. I looked at 10, and only 1 of them was easy to use. In two cases I still don't know if they do the course I want. One didn't have the Adult Ed prospectus up yet, and one looked interesting but the link to the course details didn't work. In fact most of the links didn't work, including 'Contact Us' - which rather negates the purpose. Others gave you vague titles, so you had to work out that 'Community Learning' meant Adult Ed, or which of a dozen sections included the course you wanted. When I was teaching Adult Ed I never thought to check the website to see if it encouraged or deterred learners: I would now...

So congratulations to Totton College, which allowed me to find out in a few clicks that they do the course I want, (but on a night I can't go). And you can download an app of the prospectus to peruse at your leisure.

'Cycling'. You know, that sport that Brits are quite good at, so it gets much less air time than the ones we are no good at. But thanks to ITV4 there may be a certain amount of daytime TV watching going on at Cheese Acres over the next 3 weeks.

Go Wiggo! Go Cav!

Sorry about that. We now return you to your normal sport-hating programming.

'Photography' - this time it's Befunky. I used to use this on the PC, so I was pleased to find it is available for Paddy. I have the free version, which doesn't have as many bells and whistles as the bought version I used to use - there is a paid-for one for iPad as well.

 

 

The free version gives you a range of editing methods, a dozen or so frames, and about 30 filters, which you can adjust by swiping your finger across the screen.

If you want a cheap and cheerful app which is fairly easy to use, Befunky is worth looking at. I particularly liked the range of B&W filters, which as you can see are quite atmospheric.

 
 
 
 

No comments: