'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Wednesday 30 January 2008

Spring has officially arrived ...


when the cherry tree blooms at Cheese Mansions - and if you peer hard at this rather blurry photo you will see one sad little flower and lots of buds. It has been a lovely sunny day, too, as if to prove it.

It will probably snow tomorrow.

I did manage to finish my C&G books last night - almost. This is the one on Ukrainian embroidery. Of course it was only when I came to photograph it that I realised I had made a mistake in threading the cord, but the tassels were on and it was too late to change it. I am trying to kid myself that no-one will notice - apart from everyone I've told.

Having seen real Ukrainian embroidery at the Pitt Rivers I know this is far too coarse. I don't think Ukrainians used even-weave fabric either, although the piece I saw was so closely embroidered you couldn't tell. However, I enjoyed doing it, much more than the Palestinian cross stitch.




And this is the Chinese one - in case you hadn't guessed. I bottled out of attempting to emulate Chinese embroidery, satin stitch and its ilk not being one of my strong points, and used some brocade. Nor did I make the tassel. I think this one was a present from

Singapore, wasn't it? [This is a cunning test of how carefully the likely donors read my blog].

I know Singapore isn't in China, but it has a large Chinese population, according to my Singapore experts.

This one isn't quite finished - I have photographs to add of the other son's Chinese embroideries, which are coming for their photo shoot tomorrow. Why does a motor bike riding software engineer with a beer belly have Chinese embroideries? Tell you tomorrow.

No comments: