'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Wednesday 2 January 2008

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be


We spent yesterday afternoon with the other new grandparents, R & S, at King Alfred's Buses Running Day. Despite having lived in the area for nearly 20 years we had never been before, and we really enjoyed ourselves. There were dozens of buses offering free rides all round the city and the district, and hundreds of people, many [mostly men] with really serious looking cameras.

I took this with my little, unserious Canon: it is the bus which took us to Stockbridge and back.

This is what the bus was. It was rather an odd experience to travel on a 1965 Ipswich bus because in 1965 I was at school in Ipswich and may even have seen DPV 65D when she was in her prime.

Did it make me feel nostalgic? No. 'Nostalgia' implies a longing for what has gone and I have no wish to go back to my teens. To quote Maurice Chevalier, 'I'm glad I'm not young any more'. But it was an enjoyable reminder of another time, another place.

2 comments:

Carol said...

Hi Celia, welcome to blogging. I too started in a mad moment, by looking at the instructions and thinking "I can do that". Well, I can, but there were moments when I emailed a fellow blogger friend to ask dopey quesions, and I hope I've got it under control now. Though I must say, my little slot book has caused quite a bit of interest and I'll be pleased to see yours when you make it, and especially the instructions because I'm finding that the hard part. I too have a gorgeous grand daughter, Sophia, nearly two, and another due in March. Very exciting.

Carol said...

I suddenly remembered as I looked at that double decker bus that I lived in one just like that about 30 years ago in another life, and what now feels like another planet. Some good memories, a lot of funny ones, some bad, but I'm glad I had the experience and even more glad that I don't live there now.