'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Monday 8 November 2010

We had a great night last night.

Wensleydale and I don’t go out much at night – we tend to turn into pumpkins after midnight, and grouchy pumpkins at that. but we do make exceptions – going to the Watermill with Mr and Mrs Cheddar, for instance. Another exception we make when we get the chance is an outing to see one of our favourite singers – Mr Tom Paxton.

So we pottered down to Poole to gathwr with a lot of other aging Guardian readers for a night of singing and laughing, with a little political comment thrown in, and still got home well before pumpkin time.

There were CDs for sale at the concert but not wanting to join the rugby scrum around the table, we decided to buy on line. As we already have one or twoseveral – lots of Paxton CDs, we chose to get a couple by his accompanist, Robin Bullock. They had cost £15 at the concert, so I was a little surprised to find that on Amazon the two we wanted were over twice that price!

In the end we ordered them from Bullock's own website - $15 each plus $5 postage.

So if you fancy some beautiful gentle guitar playing – go to the source!

This just added to my general disgruntlement with Amazon. You may remember that we’d waited in all Saturday for an ‘Express’ delivery which never arrived. I emailed Amazon and got a [in my opinion] rather over the top apology, a promise that I would get the delivery fee refunded, and a revised delivery date of today.

Well – I’ve got my delivery fee back – but do I have my slow cooker? No. [Perhaps someone is taking the name too literally.]

So we have jiggled the Babybel arrangements to make sure we can be in tomorrow. This is clearly a stopping train on a branch line, not an express.

Will I be using Amazon's express service again? What do you think?

No comments: