'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Monday 12 July 2010

I must apologise …

to everyone in the UK whose weather has deteriorated today.

IMG_1906

It is entirely my fault.

I bought a sun hat yesterday. 

We went with Babybel, her mum, dad, and dog, to the wood festival at Queen Elizabeth Country Park, where a good time was had by all. Babybel was equally fascinated by a heavy horse pulling logs, a man carving with a chain saw, and drawing in the children’s activities tent.

But it was very hot, so on the way out I bought a hat.

And today it has bIMG_1882een cloudy and cool.

It did mean I had no more excuses, and had to face up to going out in the garden and screen printing.

I made some freezer paper stencils, which is my preferred method – not that I know a wide range of methods…

This was the first, and the least successful. Note to self – metallic fabric paint does not work well for screen printing.

 IMG_1887

This one, inspired by our cupressus hedge, was more successful. Apologies to those who dislike cupressus, but it does have fascinating fronds. B****r to cut out, though.

As you may have noticed, I like positive/negative patterns.

 

 

IMG_1902 This was the most successful – or is it just my liking for 60s patterns obscuring my judgement?

Some of the colour choices are a little odd, based on what came to light in the hand-dye stash, and setting myself to use up some fabric paints I’ve had for far too long. [Note to self – pearlised fabric paints don’t work too well for screen printing either.]IMG_1881

I found something else in the stash cupboard while I was in there.

 

 

 

I ended up with 20 screen printed ‘drawings’ - some on fabric and some on paper. Not all of them will go in the homework book, and those that do will probably get some stitch or more printing – I fancy a leafy linocut – except it won’t be lino…

I also think I’ll use up my transparent fabric paints with some sun prints – anyone know if sunprints work on paper? That’s assuming I haven’t driven the sun away permanently.

Of course, when the sun did come out this afternoon, I forgot to wear my sun hat.

No comments: