'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Sunday 12 July 2009

Tree trauma

When we woke up to sunshine this morning, I decided it would be a good day to go and slosh some paint on big sheets of paper in the garden. [The coffee-sloshed paper, by the way, ended up in the ravens’ foot book.]IMG_7623

Of course by the time I was ready to slosh, the weather had taken a turn for the worse.  I went outside to confirm that the grass was too wet to put  paper on – and  was confronted by this.

Not a bush, but our beautiful purple lilac doing its best to lie down on the grass – having dealt the washing line a terminal blow on the way down.

I know lilacs are inclined to do this – the white one in the front garden tried to drop a branch on Cheese Minor a few years ago, but fortunately missed.

IMG_7636

Of course I had to get in there and take a few photos. Isn’t this lichen wonderful? So this is today's texture photo – velvet stitch again, I think, or a very luxuriant fringe.

So Wensleydale spent the morning chopping up lilac tree. Although I will miss it, the house end of the garden is now much lighter and we have a much better view when we eat outside.

In a way I am glad I didn’t get round to painting the papers as it has given me the opportunity to have a go later at this on Kit Vincent’s inspiring blog. Isn’t that a brilliant idea? Thanks to Dahn for the link.

No comments: