'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Sunday 20 April 2008

What I did in the holidays.

I have had a book making frenzy recently [no, I didn’t have a flutter on the Grand National]. Call it procrastination if you like ...

I made two more books in Sue Bleiweiss’s class – the yellow one is a sketchbook, with pockets for pencils, pens etc. The cover is a piece of hand dyed fabric that was a bit too strongly patterned to use in a quilt.

The blue one is made from another piece of Japanese fabric that was too nice to cut up for quilts.. I had fun with the pages of this one, mixing hand made and copier paper in blues and rusts. The copier paper looked a bit boring so I sprayed it with walnut ink. I added pockets, tags, stamps and punched shapes.

The group of three include a Coptic bound book, a tiny Japanese bound one and my first flag book [the cover is deliberately crumpled, honest!]

I have been reading Esther K Smith’s excellent book ‘How to Make Books’ and she suggests using whatever you have lying around to practice on – so I did. These are made from scrap card, failed monoprints, painted papers, leftovers of bonded tissue paper and whatever else I could lay my hands on. They have made a bit of a dent in my stash of paper – but not much.

No comments: