'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Friday 31 January 2014

It's been one of those weeks...

when I had to go places I didn't want to go and do things I didn't want to do. But, as Tom Paxton sings 'the things that you dreaded never happened at all', and it's all over now - as someone else also sang.


However it was all a bit time consuming and for most of the week, the only creative thing that happened was sock knitting. 



























Before it all kicked in, I did get a chance to try out my bright idea for the machine networking from Visual Marks - inlaid appliqué.



From this...









to this. It's OK, but if I was going to do it again I wouldn't try to cut felt with a craft knife!





















So as most of the stress is now over (one big stressor is still around, but it is being tackled) I disappeared into my workroom. 


At the beginning of the year I challenged myself to make a book a week, so here are numbers 2, 4 and 5. (Number 1, a pamphlet about our trip to the Spinnaker Tower, has gone to its new home, and I can't find number 3, although you can see it here.)


Number 5 is a circle accordion from Alisa Golden's 'Expressive Handmade Books'.  I followed her suggestion to use prepainted paper for the pages, with the idea that I might doodle round the pre-existing  marks. 


Will I keep up weekly book-making for the rest of the year? Highly unlikely, but I can dream.












I also found time to do a bit of sketchbook playing for Visual Marks. Machine embroidery is all very well, but those stitches are a bit small. So I decided to try reproducing the patterns in cut paper,

.


Can you spot the deliberate mistake?



I have ideas for more VM playing tomorrow, plus a commission for a tooth fairy pillow. 




The Traveller's Blanket has been on the back burner - this is as far as it's got. However, not only is it good sitting-on-the-sofa-listening-to-the-TV/Radio 3 embroidery, it is particularly good sitting-on-the-sofa-listening-to-the-TV/Radio 3-on-a-dark-and-stormy-insomniac-night embroidery, because it is about 1.5 metres square and warm.


However, I think tonight will be knitting again - there is something so comforting about it, on a filthy night like tonight. I hope, wherever you are, the weather is a little dryer, or if not, at least you have escaped the floods.














No comments: