'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Monday 15 November 2010

It was just one of those days…

when you keep being interrupted.

The door bell kept ringing – delivery men, meter readers, that sort of thing.

One of the deliveries was a slow cooker – yes, another slow cooker. Not sure whether it was the first one or a third one as, as instructed by Amazon, I refused it. So it is, presumably, on its way back to Scotland.

IMG_3462 Another delivery contained this.

 

 

 

 

 

image

 

Well, when a girl’s got one of these, and it’s nearly Christmas, how could her granny resist?

 

 

IMG_3467

 

 

 

In between all this excitement, granny played with paper and paint. And wire.

 

 

 

I’ve been looking through some old sketchbooks, and came to the conclusion that they are much more interesting than the current ones. The recent ones have a lot of other people’s work but not much of my own.

So I splashed some paint on some pages to make them more interesting, and cut upIMG_3461 some paper, as I’d rather do that than draw.

This is in the figure drawing sketchbook. I cheated by tracing some fashion shots from a magazine. The paper is one of the sun prints I did in the summer. I think maybe it needs a bit of drawing [aaagh] added.

 

 

 

IMG_3465

This was sun printed, and overprinted paper – for the still life sketchbook.

 

 

 

 

image

And then I got the urge to fold trees for the landscape book – although we haven’t ‘done’ landscape yet. I started with the backs of old envelopes and then moved on to a failed collagraph. [To tell the truth, I started with some pages from a John Lewis catalogue, but didn’t like the result.]

Perhaps not a conventional landscape, but the one thing I’ve learned over the last year is that our drawings are not expected to be conventional.

So I suppose I’ve done quite a lot, in between the usual chores, and answering the doorbell again and again and again …

No comments: