'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Thursday 14 February 2008

Nothing much has been happening

on the creative front over the last few days. Apart from a shopping trip to Guildford, I have been tidying up the aftermath of the metre piece – my working method being to get out everything I might possibly want to use and then leave it all over the floor until I’ve finished. [Fortunately I have a room in which I can do this]. Putting it back always seems to take a lot longer than getting it out – possibly because putting a quart into a pint pot is harder than pouring it out.

I have named tonight’s college session ‘Show and Tell’ as the teacher, A, has asked us to bring in almost everything we’ve done so far, so she can check whether we are up to date or not. This has caused some grumbling as she has never done it this way before. Having dealt with course work deadlines myself in the past, I realise why she is doing it. In previous years she has allowed a fair amount of slippage but this is the last year and there is no wriggle room.

I can be smug because I am pretty well up to date [I think]. However I have had to think about what I have done – and where it is!

I thought I would show you a couple of the pieces that came to light.

The first is my 3D silk paper sample. This was supposed to be inspired by my design theme, which is 20th century art – and it is. My design notebook shows the development from Picasso’s Harlequins [especially those with wreaths of flowers round their heads] to Green Men.

The second is the only piece anyone has ever offered to buy. It is the raised work sample, in hand dyed silk velvet – lovely stuff and a b****r to sew. This [perhaps more obviously] was inspired by Georgia O’Keefe, but also by the lovely little Tudor bags called ‘sweet bags’.

Needless to say it isn’t for sale!

No comments: