'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Tuesday 30 June 2009

Someone once said

that the best decisions are made by a committee of three, of whom two are absent.

Imagine, then, a committee of around ten, whose membership is constantly changing, and where the joint chairs, who have casting votes, are running two other committees at the same time.

I have been to college to help put up the end-of-year exhibition. I found it a little trying.

I am sure the exhibition will look great when its finished but after three hours I made my excuses and left…

Penscombe [who has an excellent blog, by the IMG_6645way] asked me to explain ‘signatures’. Sorry to get all technical! A signature is a group of pages. A simple pamphlet like this one has only one signature, made up [in this case] of six sheets of A4 paper folded in the middle, nested inside one another and sewn into the cover. Each sheet of paper is called a folio.

The sample book had five signatures, each of three folios.

I used to know why they were called signatures and folios but like a lot of other things – I’ve forgotten.

Incidentally, I can’t claim resposibitly for the idea of using sequin waste for a spine – I got it from Carol Clasper.

I haven’t had time to take a photo today [took my camera to college and then totally forgot about it] so since it is nearly July I will move on to July's theme.

When I started  Lynda Monk and Carol Mcfee’s ‘Textured Surfaces’ workshop I decided to collect some photographs of texture. [What embroiderer doesn’t collect photographs of texture? Well, perhaps if you only do cross stitch you don’t…]

IMG_6996

So here is the first one – a hole in a silver birch – nice contrast with the ivy, I think.

 

 

 

Unfortunately I have been neglecting Lynda and Carol’s excellent course, but I hope to get back to it now the worst of the end of term madness is over. [Just stewarding and taking the exhibition down to go – and that is definitely not going to be decided by a committee …]

No comments: