'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Monday 24 March 2008

Of shoes, and string stamps, and sealing wax ...

well - mostly string stamps.

Wendy commented on the string stamp I used in my cushion designs – although when I looked at the picture I think the one she mentioned is a carved eraser!

So in the absence of anything very creative happening chez Cheese, I thought I would show you some of the stamps I have made, all bar one influenced by Klimt. [The other one is a long way after Mondrian.]

The two larger swirls on the right are positive/negative [and reversed] images cut from funky foam, which is one of my favourite methods, not least because you get two stamps for the price of one. The trees and the swirls top left are string, and the double swirl is a carved eraser. You can tell that I am not punctilious about cleaning my stamps – but it is difficult to clean the string or foam ones as you can’t get them wet, and I think a coat of paint helps to strengthen them. [And I’m lazy.]

I had tried making string stamps in the past using glue but found I ended up with a sticky mess. This much easier method of making them was taught to me on my Sketchbooks course by Susan Chapman. I use cotton parcel string.

First you draw your design on a piece of mat board – I find simple designs work best. Avoid crossing lines if you can.

Then cover the surface with double sided sticky tape. [Recently I have been using left over carpet tape which is more difficult to handle but the price was right.]

Remove the backing of the tape and press the string onto the design. If lines in your design do cross, cut the string at that point and restart on the other side - you don’t want a raised section or the stamp won’t print properly.

When you have finished outlining the design, paint the string and the exposed sticky tape with PVA glue. This seals the string and desticks the sticky tape.

Allow to dry and print your stamp. I use acrylic paint or ink pads.

The same method works for funky foam. I have also made some using pre-cut funky foam shapes, as suggested in Ruth Issett’s newest book, but I haven’t actually tried those out yet.

No comments: