'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Wednesday 7 May 2008

I am beginning to recognise the power of virtual social pressure:

if I say on here that I am going to do something – I feel I have to do it.

So, as it was a nice day, I went out into the garden and painted my trees. It was so warm they dried very quickly. I have added some Lumiere in green and bronze, and that has dried too – so I should be able to return the frames to their rightful owner tomorrow.

I am a bit ambivalent about the result – I think it looks better in the photo than it does in real life. I will get the wax off tomorrow and see how it looks then – but I am not painting it again. If it is no good I shall make a cushion!

It will have embroidery on it, when I get round to sampling that: I am not committing myself to doing it tomorrow!

While I was out in the garden I did something else I have been meaning to do for a while – I photographed our silver birch for the write up I have to do about the piece. [I think of the Klimt trees as birches although the title of the picture is ‘The Beech Wood’.] The bark is lovely: this is why I wanted to crackle the wax on the
painted version.






To show how much more advanced spring is here, 300 miles south of Yorkshire, here is some more of the garden. There isn’t much in it except apple trees, so it looks at its best at this time of year. We are not great gardeners – the ‘grass’ [aka moss] is cut regularly and that’s about it. I think of it as reverting to the chalk downland it originally was …

No comments: