'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Tuesday 15 February 2011

When I got up this morning …

I knew that there were four things I had to do, in addition to al the usual chores:

  1. Make some soup
  2. Empty the waste paper bins
  3. Get my hair cut.IMG_4532
  4. Go to Holland and Barratt for some stuff.

So after the usual chores I emptied my workroom bin – and then got distracted into tidying the room a bit more. In the process I came across the materials I’d gathered to try something from Lois Walpole’s book – and got distracted into making a useful pot to put things in.

If you think it looks as if it’s made from a plastic bottle and a plastic bag – you’d be right.

Walpole uses coloured plastic bags, but we don’t have many of those, so I used a transparent one – and I like the result. However, I think she also uses bigger bottles, and this one [1 litre] was really too small to work properly. You bend the uprights back down under the weaving, and they needed to be longer to stay in place.

Then it was lunchtime – and I remembered about the soup. Reach for the can opener…

After lunch I went upstairs to get ready to go to the hairdressers – and fell over the bins I’d put on the landing for emptying and forgotten about.

And on the way down town I realised that I’d forgotten the shopping list.

I did remember to get my hair cut – and I went into H&B and got what I thought I needed – luckily I was right – and I did the bins when I got home. Still cross about the soup, though – canned is not the same as home made.

Of course, I haven’t forgotten to play with Sumopaint in the evenings.

grey_sky_1

This is the usual blurred and smudged gradient – very moody

 

 

 

 

 

grey_sky_2.

- with two more layers stamped with brushes -

 

 

 

 

 

grey_sky_6

- and different filters added – like Sphere Designer here, on the second layer. I love this one, it is very – er - spacy.

 

 

 

grey_sky_8

Just for fun, I tried applying the same filter – Kaleidoscope – to each layer in turn – this is the last layer I added -

 

 

 

grey_sky_9

 

the middle layer – [‘doyleys in space’?]

 

 

 

 

grey_sky_10

the background -

 

 

 

 

 

 

grey_sky_kaleido

and all three merged together – definitely the least interesting.

 

 

 

 

 

grey_sky_13

But this one is my favourite - Wave Lab applied to the background to make wonderful flowers.

I think it would make a great starting point for a [restrained] touch of embroidery.

1 comment:

indigocarole said...

Sorry, but I laughed when you tripped over the bins. Thanks for the link to Sumopaint ( I think! )I've a very old version of Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro 9 and Gimp, but I'm sure I'll master this one, this time. Hope springs eternal.