'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Monday 18 July 2011

One holiday task nearly finished…

only another three to go.

My trusty editor is, at this moment, reading my essay. Of course I realised as I gave it to him that I had left the date of the draft in the footer – so I shall have to reprint the whole lot whatever he says. Sometimes I'm really impressed by my ability to make work for myself.

For example – at the weekend I decided that I wasn't going to be making books for my final pieces after all, so I could give up making book models and do something else.

Then I came across some photographs in this book, showing a sculptural book made by soaking a Japanese bound book in water. [Googling that book led me to the author, Faith Shannon’s website – very inspirational!]

So I had to try, didn’t I? Although in my case I soaked them in coffee.

Unfortunately without much distortion. IMG_6673 Maybe because they are too small, or the paper [printer] isn't suitable.

So some more experiments are currently drying, for want of a better word, in the conservatory – cartridge paper, brown paper [naturally] and, in a tribute to Dieter Roth, newspaper. [Drying very slowly because after all, it did rain on St Swithun’s day, and our local saint, good as his word, has sent uimages rain every day since.

Apart from that. I’ve played around with some litter photos

 

 

 

 

 

image

and done some blind contour drawings of litter [white pastel on white paper is definitely hard to see] which I then dribbled/painted with something anonymous in a bottle [old Brusho, I think].

Not brilliant, but given my totally clueless state at the moment, I decided it was better to do something than wait in vain for inspiration to strike.

No comments: