'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Monday 27 February 2012

Finished at last.

image

The piece formerly known as ‘Compass’ – or possibly ‘No Direction Home’ – but now known as ‘Road Atlas’.

I haven't decided yet if I like it.

Finishing Road Atlas – and college starting again on Wednesday – concentrated the mind and I started exploring a new idea for a large network of tubes arranged in diamonds and equilateral triangles – and when I say large, I mean large, a couple of metres across, at least. image

 

 

 

This was a good example of why it is always a good idea to make a sample. Working out the thread path was difficult – I ended up either with knots, or going round almost every section at least twice. And although I think a larger piece might have behaved more the way I was expecting, the small piece lost its shape and wouldn’t hang flat. I could have persevered but I decided I didn't have the time to spend weeks making lots of tubes only to find it didn’t work.

It was time for Plan B – which at Cheese Acres is thinking of Plan C. Plan C is either making tubes for some other ideas [3D pieces] or getting back imageto the prayer flags.

But I needed a bit of instant gratification, so I made a book – a pipe cleaner bound notebook, adapted to international paper sizes, and some odd leftovers of paper.

I think it would be a great thing to make with children, as intended – however I wish I’d made it A5 instead of A4, and I shall replace the pipe cleaners with thread. But instantly gratifying it was.

No comments: