'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Tuesday 14 August 2012

Many thanks...

for all the comforting comments about Quality Control. I still half expect to hear the cat-flap bang and her triumphant 'I've caught something!' song, but we are beginning to accept that she isn't coming back. I've been surprised at how upset I've felt, given that she wasn't my favourite of all our cats, but I think that's because, as Cobi said, cats should die in the comfort of their own homes at a ripe old age - and all our previous female cats have. (The two males both contracted nasty illnesses, but somehow that isn't as bad as dying in a road accident.)

We have decided not to replace her, as, being realistic, another cat could outlive us. It is a little sad, but, I think, the most sensible decision. I shall enjoy my grand-dog and grand-cats instead.

1 comment:

Karen Eade said...

Celia, I am so sorry about poor QC. What a shock and I totally understand how upset you must feel. It is a bereavement and takes time to come to terms with. When you are feeling a bit more yourself you might re-consider getting a cat. QC was unique and cannot be replaced, but a cat-shaped hole in your life may need to be filled. It doesn't have to be a kitten. I once gave a home to a mother and daughter aged 11 and 10 that were considered impossible to re-home because of their age. They hid under the bed for 24 hours but were fine after that and each lived happily and healthily for a further 5 years and I enjoyed them very much xxx