'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Sunday 19 July 2009

What I learned from the internet.

A few days ago I mentioned Kit Vincent’s ideas for creating sketchbooks. When blogging around I came across – and succumbed to – Craftypod’s e-book on weaving without a loom. And finally I found CaiLun’s tutorial on tacket binding – which was new to me. [If you are into making books CaiLun’s blog is well worth a visit.]

Collages12

Put all those ideas together and you get – a book.  With a woven hessian cover from Craftypod, a tacket binding from Cailun, and [walnut] inked and cut out pages from Kit Vincent. The cut-outs are a bit hard to see, but they are there.

The pages will get more work as suggested by Kit – but I’m very pleased with it already. I think this will be a Creative Textiles sketchbook – when I’ve decided which installation artists I’m going to choose …

IMG_7023-1 No difficulty choosing today’s texture image – although I can’t remember what plant it is. I suspect it’s an elderberry, there not being much in the way of flowering plants in our garden – and one fewer since the lilac fell over. The apples seem to be following suit, although they are just drooping small branches in the wind and rain, not collapsing completely.

Which reminds me of something else I learned today – although from Radio 3, not the internet. Last Wednesday was St Swithun’s Day.

St Swithun's day if thou dost rain
For forty days it will remain
St Swithun's day if thou be fair
For forty days 'twill rain na mair

I ought to have known, really, because St Swithun is our local saint.

Of course, it rained on Wednesday. You have been warned.

1 comment:

Chrissie said...

I love the tacket binding and thanks for the links!