'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Monday 11 January 2010

The exception that proves the rule.

I’m fond of posting that I got up early and achieved a lot. Today we got up early – and I achieved very little.

Top-5 I did finish this…

 

 

 

 

 

Top-9

and this – but the first one was done in front of the telly last night, and the second while watching ‘Talking Threads’ on the computer at 2 a.m. – which is one reason why I haven’t achieved very much today.

[If you haven’t come across ‘Talking Threads’ go here and type it into the search box. Unless you want to watch programmes about county pursuits, of course. There’s a lovely combine on at the moment – who else can hear the Wurzels singing?]

I’m quite pleased with the way those two transfer prints have come out – somehow they remind me of 50s embroidery and Dorset feather stitchery. That led to a happy half IMG_0288 hour browsing through these.

One of my most prized possessions, inherited from my mother and probably as old as I am.

Does anyone know how many booklets the Needlework Development Scheme actually produced? – because I would like a full set. I think I may have one, as I have numbers 1-5, which is all I found on EBay and ABE books – but if there are any more I would like to start saving up for them – prices were a minimum of 50p a page …

2 comments:

Heather said...

Thankyou for visiting my blog - I have just had a lovely time reading back through yours. I love the transfer prints and your sketch book pages. I saw a wonderful exhibition in Dorset a few years ago, of Dorset Feather Stitch and how it came about. Hope you are managing to get around more easily, though we may have more of the white stuff to come.

Gill said...

The WI has several of the NDS booklets, together with some of the original samples. Don't know if you're a member, but if you are, I can tell you how you could see them when you're next at Denman College.

And Heather, I too went to that Dorset exhibition and might add that my blog got more hits from people searching for Dorset Feather Stitch than anything else for quite a while afterwards. It was a great exhibition, wasn't it?