'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Friday 16 July 2010

We had fun

IMG_1923

with Babybel yesterday – but we needed today to recover! After a busy morning helping her granddad wash up, and her gran shop, we spent the afternoon at Manor Farm, where we all had a wonderful time.

We finished the visit by feeding the calves, which Babybel loved [and her gran quite enjoyed too].

 

Top-54.BMP

 

Today I got round to making 2.5 more‘drawings’.

This rather bizarre piece was inspired by a fence round a building site in Winchester. 

 

 

 

IMG_1684

The fence is corrugated so, as you can see, as you approach it along the pavement the writing appears fragmented.

What has this to do with my theme of ‘summer’? Not a lot, but I thought it was an interesting effect. I did choose a poem with a summer connection, though. Not sure it’s a drawing either – but I’ve been spending a lot of time asking myself what a drawing is.

We visited the Jerwood Drawing Prize exhibition a few years ago, and that wasn’t at all what I expected. I’ve come to the rather tentative conclusion that drawing involves mark making and line – but I'm open to argument – as long as it doesn't mean I have to rip half the pieces out of my homework book1

The other 1.5 drawings are these 2.100 drawings12 If my numbering sounds nonsensical, it’s because one is the reverse of the other, so I don’t think I can count them as 2 separate drawings.

Shells again, I’m afraid. Mrs Cheddar kindly gave me some fabric samples, and the colours immediately said ‘shells’ to me. So I appliquéd shell shapes on a piece of coffee dyed polyester satin [love that stuff!] with FME. and then couldn’t decide which side I liked better. So it became a double sided drawing.

It’s funny that I’m quite happy with free machine embroidery as drawing, but not hand embroidery.  I think it’s because this type of FME is, by it’s nature ‘sketchy’, but hand embroidery is much more considered, and the variety of stitches makes it more textural.

That makes the total number of drawings up to 30 - and about 2 months to go to finish the other 70.

No comments: