'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Saturday 9 April 2011

How to have a productive night.

image

 

  1. Suffer from insomnia.
  2. Er – that’s it.

Still it did result in these three – two variations on a stick binding from Nuno magazine, and one traditional stick binding – the one with the dead fish look-alike strapped to it. The covers are either needlepoint canvas, or wallpaper samples from Mrs Cheddar [how well she knows me], with a dash of white emulsion.

The two larger ones have the usual brown paper pages, the small one has pages made from scraps of handmade paper in shades of brown – apart from that white cotton wool-lookiimageng stuff, which is left over silk paper.

I think these might be good for litter photos, especially in shades of sepia, like this one.  

 

 

 

 

And that has been it for today, apart from an hour or so sitting out in the sunshine wrestling with definitions for the RP. Interestingly, the books I have consulted seem to try to avoid defining ‘artists; books’ – very wisely, since people like me come along and tear their definitions to pieces.

It was useful, though, because it made me think about what I like best about the genre – the intimacy of a work of art you can hold in your hand and interact with. That made me realise that the books I make need to be small scale, and to feel right as well as look right.

That’s all I’m likely to do today, since Saturday night is no longer Danish detective night, but French flic night – much more violent than The Killing, but equally gripping – and with a higher crumpet ratio than The Killing too.

No comments: