'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Saturday 23 April 2011

Too darn hot!

For me, anyway. Wensleydale told me that it is only 21C on the outdoor thermometer – that’s the one in the shade, on the north side of the house.

I think it is a tad hotter in our south-facing garden.

So, over the last two days, instead of sitting embroidering in the garden as I’d planned, I've been doing paper-work in the house. Yesterday was RP day – researching and collating images, printing them out, writing notes, putting them in the portfolio. Worthy, educational – boring.

Life got a little more interesting when we went back to the Watermill last night for the second time, this time to see ‘Comedy of Errors’. As usual, with Propeller, it was very very good. If they played Richard III as a comedy, they played Errors as a pantomime – and the music was brilliant.

I don’t think Mrs Cheddar will ever forget it. I won’t go into details, but there are drawbacks to sitting on the front row at Propeller productions. Tall, male, acting drawbacks. Twice.

Today I turned to IMG_5321more interesting paperwork.

These were inspired by a wallet, believe it or not. The paper is some hand made [not by me] from my stash, alternating front and back.

 

 

 

image

 

This is a little more elaborate. I haven’t made a lot of books by binding over tapes – and none by binding over roving – but it seemed like a good idea at the time. My first idea was not to make a cover, and leave the ends loose, [bottom right]but it didn’t look right, and the binding was sloppy. I decided to contain it in an adaptation of a paper cover from Sue Doggett’s ‘Hand Made Books’. [I am gulping after following that link. Needless to say, I didIMG_5319 not pay that price for it…]

In the middle of all that, I made these. Hot uncrossed buns. Well, the bread maker did some of the work.

Despite making our own bread, we usually buy hot cross buns, but we forgot this time. So inspired by Babybel and her mummy’s excellent example, I decided to have a go. Of course, I didn't have all the right ingredients, and I couldn’t be bothered to make the crosses – but they taste almost as good as Babybel and her mum’s efforts – perhaps they’ll give me a few pointers next year?

No comments: