'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Friday 13 May 2011

I'm still here…

just busy -and not only with that essay.

However - good news #1 - after another slight pruning of the topic[less emphasis on whether something is or isn't an artist’s book, even more on how technological changes have affected them], I’ve completed all but the conclusion.

No idea what my conclusion is – but I can probably add a bit of waffle good enough for a draft <g>.

And- good news #2- it is just a shade under 4,500 words. Obviously it will be longer when I’ve written the conclusion – but not that much longer, and I have to give the readers of the handed-in first draft something to critique, don’t I? <g>.

I still have problems with the idea of handing in a draft, though. I used to teach students that the first draft of the essay is where you find out what you think, the second is where you tell the reader. So, this is not a real first draft – because it has to tell the reader about my thinking, or be totally misleading. ‘Yes, I know I didn't say that, but I did think it. I was going to put that in the final draft, honest!’

So it is more like a final draft without the final tidying up. I can see why we are asked to do it – and of course if I'm completely off piste, handing in a draft should get me back to  a safe slope – but it really doesn’t suit my style of skiing working.

The rest of the time has been spent looking after Babybel, having a stomach bug [I’ll spare you the details], having my hair cut, doing domestic stuff, going to college, looking after Babybel – and, this afternoon, going to the new art gallery at Mottisfont.

I’ve always been impressed by the pictures at Mottisfont, which are not quite what you expect in a National Trust property, so I was pleased to hear they’d turned some of the upstairs rooms into a gallery. The exhibition includes several works by Cheshire favourites Ben Nicholson, Graham Sutherland, John Piper and Peter Lanyon, the new-to-me John Wells, and a John Bratby like no other I’ve ever seen – so some high powered stuff.

And of course, the cake in the cafe was good – orange drizzle this time…

Tomorrow to fresh fields and conclusions new – and then hopefully I can get back to something a bit less pressurising…

No comments: