'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Monday 6 April 2009

Here and there

We spent the morning shopping in town – where I scored these two from the Oxfam book shop.

IMG_5993

I don’t intend to make anything for Babybel from the knitting book, I just collect old needlework books, the older the better.

The knitting one is undated but probably dates from the 50s, judging by the styles. The embroidery one was published in 1985 and has lots of interesting ideas in it – and a rather scary description of using acetone and acetate to make ‘chemical lace’. I don’t think I will be doing that any time soon.

IMG_5992

In the afternoon we went out to Hobbycraft to spend my birthday present from Cheese Major. Here is the result – a combination of essentials and new toys. I don’t know how the soluble crayons compare with my Neocolours but they were half price so I got the biggest box they had – at less than £8 they had to be worth a try.

IMG_5996Today's blue image is  of a decanter I inherited from my aunt. We are not decanter people but it is such a wonderful colour. Perhaps if we served our vin de tanker from this we could fool people that it was something a little more expensive?

 

 

 

IMG_5995

This is it again with the 6 glasses which go with it.

I know nothing about its age or where it came from - any glass experts out there? This is getting a bit like the Antiques Road show …

 

2 comments:

Jackie said...

I think Chemical lace was the forerunner of water soluble fabric lace. Aren't we lucky? I can just imagine dissolving the whole piece in a bubbling steaming mass.

Babs Banter/QUILTECH said...

I think the blue vase is of irish cut glass crystal, My mother had some 'ruby' cut glass - from Ireland.
It's worth quite a bit and there are collectors out there who would pay good money for it.

Babs