'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Thursday 9 April 2009

This and that …

mostly that, as I had another insomniac night. so didn’t feel like doing much that was really creative.

IMG_6114

These quilts had dried after dyeing and washing, so had to be inspected. The wadding in this one was cotton so it has shrunk a little and has a wonderful texture.

The white dots are a fabric I printed with bubble wrap – as you can see acrylic paint doesn’t dye. I like the effect and can see uses for it.

 

IMG_6123

This is the back – an old piece that I discharged, and which  has now been over-dyed twice.

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_6120

This wadding was polyester, so no shrinkage. The binding fabric was labelled ‘cotton’ – but was clearly poly-cotton, as I suspected. The white shapes are a commercial fabric, which must also have been printed with something that won't dye.

If I find the time I might over dye this – perhaps with more magenta, perhaps with blue around the edges.

 IMG_6121

Obviously I had polyester thread in the bobbin when I did the quilting. Not bad for my first attempt with the embroidery module.

 

 

 

The quilts weren’t today’s activities, all I did was take the photos. And as you can see I had help.

What I did do this morning was slosh a bit of IMG_6126paint around.

If these look like tile colours – you might well be right. The salt pan ideas haven’t gone away, but I have  a lot of tile ideas as well – and creeping in are some ideas about archaeology, inspired by this. [More pictures here.]

We have a connection to this site as Mrs Cheese Major was the manager of the Bottoms Up shop which used to be there.

  Today’s blue image is a IMG_1293-1window at the Weald and Downland Museum. The glass is reflecting the sky but the panes are all at different angles because the lead between the panes has distorted.

When I was doing ‘Creative Sketchbooks’ i made a paper collage inspired by this window, using skies from lots of magazine ads. I think it would make an interesting canvas work piece – a good way to use up lots of bits of blue and grey …

2 comments:

Babs Banter/QUILTECH said...

You make me want to dig out my dye stuff which languishes in the shed at bottom of garden - I used to love having dyeing sessions - found it exciting - never knowing quite how the fabric would turn out but somehow the time flies by - yet another day is filled with domesticity and 'stuff' - so creativity goes to the wall. Have forgotten most of it - will have to get back to the drawing board - or follow your blog as you're going great guns!!!! Nearly typed GINS!! But you know what I mean! Having written that think I might just have a G & T with lots of ice and lemon. Hope you are not teetotaller or I could be banned from the site!!

BABS

Tangled Stitch said...

I'm an insomniac too so I feel for you. The colors and the work of your quilt is beautiful. Hope you get a good night's sleep!