'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Sunday 13 September 2009

Run, don’t walk.

If you like embroidery, that is – and if you can get to Portsmouth – and if you haven’t already been – to the Textile Study Group [Practical Study Group as was] exhibition in Portsmouth Museum. [I realise it’s already been all round the country but we tend to get things late in the deep South.]

Just look at that list of exhibitors. And in addition to all the wonderful stitch [stitch with metal, stitch with glass, stitch with ceramics, stitch with paper, stitch with stitch …] there’s a book. A not-for-sale hand made book in which each exhibitor has completed a double page spread of mixed media stuff. It was still there when I left, honest.

Seriously, it is a very good, very inspirational exhibition. It’s on till the end of next month – we will be going again. Admission is free and there is free parking in the grounds. And a tea shop. On a Sunday afternoon, although the other galleries were busy, we had the textiles almost to ourselves. And if you are unfortunate enough to have a partner who isn’t into textiles, there are other exhibitions about Sherlock Holmes and football.IMG_8347 [That’s two different exhibitions, you understand – as far as I know S. Holmes wasn’t a football fan. Although as Arthur Conan Doyle lived in Portsmouth, S. Holmes would have been a Pompey supporter. Perhaps that's why he kept it quiet?]

Now I’ve calmed down a bit – another flower. With added bee. I photographed this in the Hillier Gardens and I think its a rudbeckia, though I‘m sure that  if I'm wrong one of the experts out there will correct me.

No comments: