'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Monday 19 October 2009

I was going to do so much today …

but then I had a lousy night and my get-up-and-go got IMG_8929up and went.

I did manage to draft some more Suzani inspired canvas work –’design’ is too grand a word for a straight steal from this lovely piece. As you can see I changed my mind several times – and I’m still not sure about the left hand border. The colours [grey blues]will be inauthentic, as this is another stash-busting exercise. The embroidery will be inauthentic as well as Suzanis aren't canvas work – but if in doubt, do a bit of tent stitch.

If you want to know more about real Suzanis there’s a good introduction here.

Regular readers of my blog may wonder how, if I find cross stitch boring, I can stand tent stitch. Well, as it’s only 1 stitch not 2, it’s only half as boring - and somehow working on pieces like this is motivating because of the frequent changes of colour.

IMG_8942

Even backgrounds aren’t boring if you work them in a range of similar shades, like the background here – and it helps to use up all those partial skeins I have, because I inherited two canvas worker’s stashes.

I did also manage some photo scratching too IMG_8940– another image from the Contemporary Textile workshop. I don't like this one as much – you may not be able to tell from the photo but I found some plant forms in there. There is also a dragonfly's wing at the right, but that is nothing to do with me!

Top-11.BMP

These are today's unsketchbook images – companion pieces, constructed by tearing or cutting as appropriate.

Top-14.BMP

 

 

 

 

Not very inspiring, but they might be more interesting in fabric, if I could persuade it to tear in the right  way …

No comments: