'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Wednesday 14 January 2009

Photo of the day


I can actually identify the shrub in today's photo - it's dogwood. I know because we have some in our garden, although not as well grown as this. We chose it for winter colour, and also because the council use it in their plantings, which suggested that it would cope both with chalk soil and neglect.
On a completely different topic - after I watched the first episode last week I meant to mention the BBC4 series 'House of Chanel'. It is a documentary, made, I think, in 2004. I wasn't sure what to expect when it started, but so far there has been quite a lot about the work of the seamstresses - one of whom has a pincushion to rival mine!
We watched the second episode last night. It is one of those programmes that you have to read - unless your French is better than mine - which means no sewing while its on! My heart went out to the poor woman who is starting on the third version of a particular evening dress, all, of course, by hand. [I agreed with her comments about sewing panne velvet, too!]
I think there are four more episodes - next week's includes a look at the way Chanel's braids are made. Worth catching if you can.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh I can't believe I missed that one, I watched one last week and have set Sky + for Friday night which is the one about the braids.
fascinating glimpse into the fashion houses