'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Wednesday 21 January 2009

Through the window

I have been playing around with my pebble tracing - not very successfully! I started with the usual L-shaped pieces of card - every book or person I come across seems to have a different name for them - but couldn't find a section I liked. Everything was just too round!

In one of her books Sandra Meech suggests cutting three parallel windows in a card - like a triptych. So as I like triptychs I tried that and this is the result - coloured with Derwent metallic pencils, which, I have just discovered, are water soluble. I like the slightly recessed look of the 'windows'. Could be stained glass, especially if there were arches at the top. Like a mini version of this ?

It also reminds me of the work of John Dahlsen which is what inspired the C&G wallhanging which led me to take the pebble photo in the first place. Having looked at Dahlsen's work again, I can see that my image could be worked in lots of textured stitches - as I don't have very much beach detritus lying around. Some, but not a lot ... The colour scheme, which I would never have thought of using if I hadn't started with that rather unprepossessing picture of pebbles, is growing on me.

It also reminds me of this window at the Weald and Downland Museum - which in turn inspired an image in my 'Creative Sketchbooks' book. Which I can't find.


1 comment:

Wil said...

I like the triptych idea.