'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Tuesday 10 March 2009

A Monday meander...

maybe? Can you call a theatre trip a meander? We went, with Mr and Mrs Cheddar, to the Watermill Theatre in Newbury to see Propeller's production of 'Midsummer Night's Dream'.


It was brilliant! The Watermill is a beautiful tiny theatre in [as you might have guessed] a watermill - and Mrs Cheddar likes to sit on the front row. This means that you get all the benefits of energetic, inventive and exciting live theatre happening right in front of your nose - or at your feet. The last time we went I nearly lost a shoe when Katherine in 'Taming of the Shrew' grabbed my foot in resisting Petruchio's attempts to haul her across the stage. [Well, it's an all male company so 'her' was 'him' - but, willing suspension of disbelief and all that.]


This time it was the people at the other end of the row who got involved when Bottom lost part of his 'sword' [a sink plunger] under their seats.


You don't get that in the cinema.

After all that excitement - here's a quiet piece I made some time ago when I was working on a larger piece inspired by windows for Part 1 of C&G. This is my work room window. I printed the photo on tissue paper, then bonded it to silk habotai and applied that to silk noile. A bit of FME and some detached chain stitches finished it off. I came across it in a bit of tidying and decided it was worth framing.

I am also going to frame this. It was not made by me, but by my mother at teacher training college in the 1930s. She never valued it very much, and because I have known it all my life I have tended to take it for granted, but I really looked at it this morning and decided it well worthy of display.


This is the quilted piece I showed you in progress. I think it is finished, although I may add a few beads.

And finally - a dramatic red image taken one evening through the loo window - unfortunately the only window in the house which faces west. Not computer manipulated at all, the sky really was that colour.


No comments: