'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Tuesday 25 August 2009

‘Uppards’

[See here if you don’t know what I’m on about – or if you do and want a blast from the past.]

Uppards to the next program in my selected highlights of free image editing software.

Big Huge Labs is another site I used even before I started all this. I’ve mentioned the Hockneyizer and the Pop Art Poster, but amongst thebeadsf77451911363d4b9b1fed9669ec54431da8ad946 rather eclectic collection of things to do with [or without] your photos there are some that might interest embroiderers. 

This is the ‘Bead Art’ effect. You can choose from 4 different shaped beads - these are circles. The site advises choosing  a strongly coloured image – so I did.

 

beadart 2

Definite improvement. These are cubes.

 

 

 

 

 

fxe5c3144987fc7528eae8311a1e21ce1ae4824c69

There are a number of options under the ‘FX’ heading, [sharp intake of breath from this old fogey], although you don’t find out what they are until you have loaded your image. I liked ‘Sketch’ – not embroiderable [by me] but pretty.

 

fxd754e59a04c8a1212d13704959082f334450f21a

I liked the colours of  ‘Negative’.

 

 

 

 

 

 

fx3685031b3cd9b08495b2f66df22bb1782a394143

This is ‘Halftone’ with the contrast and strength as high as they will go – you can do a certain amount of tuning of the images.

If you are very very dedicated this might be patchwork – but I think something interesting might come out of using it for counted thread work of some type. I like the idea of the image concealed behind a lot of black blobs. Well, I’m weird.

I turned the version above to black and white and tried playing around with contrast and strength to see if I could get something suitable for black work, but without success – I think the original image is probably too complex for that. trading card

In another part of the forest – er – site – you can use your photo in an ATC. You can add text underneath if you wish. Nice if you are into ATCs.

 

 

 

poster

 

Or, should you need one, you can make a motivational poster.

Perhaps I ought to make one that says ‘Embroider’.

 

Actually, I have been – embroidering, that is, not making a poster – apart from the one above, obviously. I’ve been embroidering sort-of-graffiti. See what Banksy has done to me? It is not in a fit state to show at the moment, and it won’t ever be brilliant, due to  a slight technical failure, but I have hopes it may lead to something better.

Watch this space.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Isn't it fun playing with the different effects? I am partial to those negative ones as well.
Susan