'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Saturday 5 December 2009

And for today’s trick…

I made a mattress.

You may well be less impressed when I tell you that it’s only 18” by 12”, and it’s made of several layers of wadding in a cotton jersey cover. But I did make a [lumpy] pillow to go with it.

We scored a doll’s bed on Freecycle – it needs a new coat of paint, which Wensleydale has taken responsibility for, as he’s a much better painter than me – and some bedding. I already have a miniquilt I made when I was playing with the BSR when I first got my Bernina. I think that, with the mattress and pillow will be enough – and will probably spend most of the time off the bed anyway. I also picked up two baby dolls from a charity shop for £1 50 – so we feel quite green grandparents. Hope Babybel likes them.

Thanks to Penscombe for her nice comments – but this is a burst of creativity after a long blank period – and I’m retired, so I have all the time in the world. :-^)

IMG_9387

Moving along with the C&G sketchbook – this was inspired by the Charles Rennie Mackintosh textile design on the left. [If you like that, go here and type in ‘textile’. Well, type in almost anything that takes your fancy, really, there are all sorts of goodies up there in Glasgow.]

My version in batik is slightly less elegant. Although I said yesterday that I liked unpredictable results, my results with hot wax and a tjanting are predictable – they'll be awful. No, I didn’t carefully paint the two triangles blue – I carefully cut them out which was much quicker.

No comments: