'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Sunday 6 December 2009

I’ve torn myself away from the telly

to write a blog post - which for once has been quite hard work. We don’t usually watch a lot of TV but since the BBC is running an Alan Bennett retrospective, for once there is something good on.

I did manage to find time to finish this. Weird, isn’t it? Hope you like the tassel. It throws quite interesting shacontemporary textiles13dows – I like work which throws interesting shadows. Unfortunately they are a bit difficult to photograph with flash … 

When I was thinking about a lining I considered some dark red velvet before opting for the hand-dye – but looking at these images the velvet would have been better – maybe?

It’s a bit wonky because  I couldn’t find anything the right size to roll it round while I laced it up. Champagne bottle was too small, drain pipe was too big - which gives you an idea of the sophisticated lives we live at Cheese Acres.

IMG_9388

This sketchbook page is inspired by a picture by Kandinsky, which I think a lot of embroiderers find inspiring [and quilters, and for all I know knitters and crocheters as well]. On the page I cut the picture up, spread it apart, and filled in the gaps. This idea didn’t lead anywhere , but I did keep playing around with the original – more tomorrow.

No comments: