'If you make happiness your goal, then you're not going to get to it… The goal should be an interesting life."

Dorothy Rowe

Sunday 31 May 2009

Today would have been a lovely day to dye

especially as I have signed up for an on-line arashi course with Wil.

The sun has been shining, there hasn’t been much breeze – I could have pottered around with pipes, fabric, dye and buckets to my heart’s content.

So what did I do? I made IMG_6761some paper. Sorry, Wil.

To be fair, dyeing is something I can do indoors, while paper making makes such a soggy mess it really has to be done outside.

 

IMG_6763

And I have been wanting to try this idea for embedding fabric in paper for a while.  I found the idea in one of my charity shop purchases -  ‘Working on Canvas’ by Margaret Rivers. Sorry it is such a blurry photo.

The paper is speckled because:

  1. I’m too mean – er – green to use linters, I used the contents of the shredder bin.
  2. part way through I added some so-old-they’re-tasteless chilli flakes to the pulp.

Perhaps I’ll dye tomorrow.

The last C&G image isn’t a sample but the paneIMG_6766l we had to make in Part 1. Of course, because I don’t like doing representational work – it is representational.  The background is layered sheers, nappy liners etc. on canvas. The shiny bit top right is much more reticent in real life!

The cat isn’t QC but her predecessor, Snibs, also fluffy but black. I was told the piece needed a focal point – so she’s it. It also gave me an opportunity to use one of my favourite canvas work stitches, velvet stitch. I don’t enjoy stitching it, I'm always terrified when it comes to cutting it, but I love the effect.

No comments: